Mon, 30 May|
Free Yoga Nidra Online
Join the free Yoga Nidra Online on Monday 30 May 8-9pm GMT. This is a space to drop into deep rest. No experience necessary. You can practice from the comfort of your bed, sofa or your yoga mat.
Time & Location
30 May 2022, 20:00 – 21:00 IST
About the event
Yoga Nidra is a powerful technique in which you learn to relax consciously. Yoga Nidra is is the state of dynamic sleep, which is induced by a guided meditation. It induces complete physical, mental and emotional relaxation.
"Nidra" means sleep and "Yoga" means union.
In Yoga Nidra, you are guided into a meditative state that is something between being awake and being asleep. Yoga Nidra is not about concentration but about shifting your awareness from point to point, from sensation to sensation. In the experience of Yoga Nidra, you may appear asleep, but you are actually functioning at a deeper level of consciousness. In Yoga Nidra the state of relaxation is reached by turning inwards, away from outer experiences. This practice gives you space to fall deep into rest, psychic sleep and surrender to its experience moment by moment.
Benefits of Yoga Nidra:
- Releases muscular tensions by soothing the nervous system
- Reduced stress and anxiety by reducing the fluctuations of the mind "chitta vritti nirodha" (Sutra 1.2 of the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali)
- Better sleep
- Increased peace of mind and calmness
- Improved waking mindfulness
In Yoga Nidra, all you need is to be open to receive the instructions and observe any experiences you may have, with total awareness and non-judgement. If you miss some words that are being spoken - it doesn't matter - you are still practising Yoga Nidra and getting the benefits of it.
What do you need for the practice?
- a mat, a sofa or your bed
- something comfortable and warm to wear
- a blanket or something to cover yourself with
- a pillow or a cushion to support your head
- a cushion or bolster for underneath your knees if you like
- make sure the space you are in is going to be quiet for the whole hour
- anything else that might make you feel comfortable.